The MA37 Individual Combat Weapon System (MA37 ICWS or MA37 Assault rifle), formally known as the Individual Combat Weapon System, Caliber 7.62 mm MA37 Bungie.net: Halo: Reach Ordnance and the MA5 by the UNSC Marines and Navy, is a standard issue service rifle of the UNSC.
The MA37 was first introduced in 2437 and has remained the primary service rifle of all branches of the UNSC ever since. It is an air-cooled, gas-operated, magazine-fed, fully-automatic bullpup rifle that fires from 32-round magazines of 7.62x51mm ammunition. It possesses a built-in ammunition indicator and magnetic compass for orientation, similar to that of all other MA5 series rifles. It has a high rate of fire, but due to its inaccuracy, it is highly ineffective at long ranges and inflicts low damage against energy shields.
- The MA37 lacks long-range capabilities, so it pairs well with weapons like the DMR.
- At close range, fully-automatic fire is recommended. At longer ranges, fire in bursts to conserve ammunition and improve accuracy.
- If the player participated in the Halo: Reach beta, a unique MA37 nameplate emblem is obtainable for use in multiplayer.
- The maximum reserve ammunition for the MA37 varies for certain campaign missions and exceeds the limit of 288 (e.g. 600 max in the level Winter Contingency).
- Although the MA37 is the predecessor of the MA5B, on the right side of the rifle, just above the trigger mechanism, it reads "MA5C Mk. 4."
- The shell casings of the MA37 have the word Chief written on them.
- The MA37 is, by far, the weakest in-game Assault rifle. The MA5B kills a SPARTAN in 15 rounds, the MA5C kills with 16 rounds, but the MA37 kills with 19 rounds total.
- The east and west orientations on the ammo counter compass are reversed compared to the compass in the players HUD (east on left, west on right).